To allow you a more authentic, ‘hands on’ Township Experience, I subcontract my Township tours to a partner who can share his experiences growing up in the Township with you and introduce you to the people who live there so that you can get an insight into what really happens in a Township. You will get a very good idea as to the culture, the life style as you walk the streets and interact with the people. The township is a busy, vibrant and colourful place and will welcome you with open arms. This is more than a Township tour, this is more of an experience which will stay with you for a long time.
You will visit Langa Township (the sun), Cape Town’s oldest township, established in 1927 where the guide will take you on a walking tour of:
- The infamous “singles quarters” and the hostels, – a product of the Migrant Workers Laws of the previous regime which destroyed families and created a dysfunctional society.
- “Spaza” shops and “Shebeens”.
- The “new flats” which are the old hostels now converted into smart new family apartments offering a chance for decent family living.
- A community centre, craft market (shop for locally-made arts and crafts which directly benefit the community), a tavern (shebeen) and a pre-school.
- Langa Taxi Rank – sequel to the Sharpville Massacres of 21 March 1960, as a result of the defiance campaign over the pass laws, led by P.A.C. leader Robert Sobukwe and local resistance leader, Phillip Kgosana.
- ‘Beverly Hills’ which is the name given to the middle class area of Langa Township
- Morning tours include lunch. Weekdays we enjoy a barbecue at Mzoli’s in Guguletu, and weekends and public holidays, we are welcomed into a local Langa home for a delicious home-cooked, home-hosted meal.
Afternoon tours include an after-school visit to the kids at the Happy Feet Youth Project. This project is aimed at taking young children and teenagers off the street and empowering and enriching their lives. They are coached on producing local dance shows which earns money for the community and enhances their lives immeasurably.
To allow for maximum flexibility, the tariff includes:
- the use of the vehicle
- driver/guide for around 4 to 5 hours
- toll fees
- fuel and refreshments on board the vehicle
- Lunch for the Morning Tours
- Happy Feet Experience for the Afternoon tours (during term time)
Whilst lunch, entrance fees and gratuities are not included in the prices, they can be included on request.
All prices are subject to change.
- Payable in advance to Cape Splendour or Service Provider or in cash or by card to the Service Provider on the day.
Collection will be around 09h00 or 14h00.
The 7 seater luxury air-conditioned vehicle will be stocked with water and be driven with your comfort and safety in mind. Join us for an unforgettable tour!
The Cancellation Policy of the Service Provider will apply.